There has been a lot of bottom up change happening throughout marketing. One huge change that’s been felt at the lower levels and with only a few exceptions has permeated the C suite and that’s of skill-sets. Social media capabilities have been relegated to interns, contract labor and agencies. Very few CMO’s have had to get their hands dirty yet. But that’s starting to change.
- The old “CPG academy” model is evolving to a “hybrid marketer.”
- The emphasis is shifting toward customer insight and relationship building.
- The CMO’s ability to drive measurable demand generation is critical and now more complex than ever.
- Demand for hands-on/operational marketers who have the ability to move at a rapid pace & stay in front of the customers is rising.
- The CMO must be seen as an authentic advocate for customers and, conversely, as a listening ear to customers who are advocates.
And my favorite point exceeds the 140 character tweet-limit but it’s the key IMO:
Digital-to-consumer continues to grow in importance across all customer demographics, so understanding how to forge both one-on-one and broader community ties with core consumers via digital media is critical.
Read more here