The Pew Research Foundation came out with a recent studycalled the Rise of In-Store Mobile Commerce calling out the impact of mobile smartphones on holiday 2011 shopping. The numbers speak to the scary impact of the showrooming phenomenon.
- 52 % of shoppers with cell phones walked into retail stores and did at least some research by smart phone.
- 19 % of them ultimately made their purchases online.
While they were in the stores:
- 38 percent of cell owners called a friend while they were in a store for advice about a purchase they were considering making.
- 24 percent of cell owners used their phone to look up reviews of a product online while they were in a store.
- 25 percent of adult cell owners used their phones to look up the price of a product online, to see if they could get a better price somewhere else.