Everyone in the consumer packaged goods (CPG) industry wants to know what the hot new trend will be. Is there a product category consumers will embrace and push to the top? What technology advancements will be delivered in 2013? The big developments expected to emerge this year help industry professionals prepare, capitalize and perhaps even re-strategize on how to go-to market.
No need to scour the Internet to compare and contrast what 2013 will bring! For quick reference, here is a collection of the most interesting trends and top forecasts spanning multiple industry topics, including marketing, mobile, retail, automated technology and the natural space:
- CPG companies of all sizes and categories will learn to accept and admit the profitable and competitive advantages that come with utilizing business software solutions that offer predictive analytics and data driven insights.
- The Deli Department within grocery retailers will dominate and attract consumers with freshly prepared entrées, improved services and upscale offerings.
- Consumers will look to their mobile devices to maximize absolutely every moment: shopping experiences, purchases and social communication.
- For the first time, Baby Boomers, Millennials and Generation X all have purchasing power at the same time. With each generation responding to promotional tactics and advertising platforms differently, the challenge is on for marketers.
- If there isn’t “an app for that” yet, there will be. New apps that create a more enjoyable and convenient shopping experience will be all the rage.
- Food and beverages containing probiotics will become more mainstream and the market for such items will really take off.
- Consumers will increasingly turn to digital tools and online services to improve their personal health and monitor medical ailments.
- Consumers will be more accepting of frozen food varieties (that is, low-sodium, meatless, ethnic). Frozen foods provide convenience, offer fewer preservatives than packaged products, and will be seen as a more affordable option to fresh fruits and vegetables.