The percentage of traffic to UK retail websites coming from mobile devices is up by over 60%, year on year, in October 2013, according to the IBM Digital Analytics Benchmark.
Sales from mobile devices have increased by 80%.
IBM believes the increase in traffic and sales from mobile sites will continue to grow at the current rates.
Comparing October 2012 to October 2013 in the UK, the IBM report found:
- October YoY online retail sales increased by 8.7%.
- Average Order Value is up by 3.8% YoY at £97.35.
- Mobile % of site traffic is up by over 60% YoY, Mobile % of sales is up over 80% YoY
- Smartphones drive more traffic than tablets (22.32% vs. 20.41%) but tablets drive nearly twice as many purchases as smartphones (20.19% vs. 11.3%).
- Looking at only mobile traffic, smartphones drive 52%, tablets drive 48%.
- Tablet users spend more average time on site compared to smartphone users (6:00 vs 4:19)
- Mobile traffic by device: iPad 17.18%; iPhone 13.41%
- Samsung accounts for 66% of all Android traffic (another way to look at it - Samsung accounts for or 7.12% of all online traffic).